Sandsea (working title)
Players Roll All The Dice
The Players Roll All The Dice variant requires the following:
1. The “10+” for AC, Fortitude, Reflex, and Will defenses for player characters is now a d20 roll ( i.e. subtract 10 from all the PC’s defenses and add a d20 roll )
2. The DM will add the “10+” to the attack bonus of monsters to set a “target number” for the Player Rolled Defense … this means the DM will not make an attack roll.
3. A roll of a “natural 20” is a “Perfect Defense” and allows the defender to make a basic attack ( ranged or melee ) as an immediate reaction.
4. A roll of a “natural 1” is a “Fumbled Defense” and the attacker scores a critical hit.
When we were working on this variant, we realized the DM’s baddies should be able to perfectly defend a PC attack. So, we added a couple more requirements for this variant:
1. A PC attack roll of a “natural 20” is a “Critical Hit”, whether it beats the defense of the monster or not.
2. A PC attack roll of a “natural 1” is a “Fumbled Attack” and the target will get a free basic attack on the PC as an immediate reaction.